Friday, March 5, 2010

From the Vault...David Bowie - Heathen

From the Vault is a new feature where I review an older album that I'm really enjoying at the moment.
Released in 2002 and Bowie's umpteenth comeback, this amazing album was advertised as "Classic David Bowie Circa 2002." And the hype couldn't have been more on the money.

Heathen reunited Bowie with Tony Visconti, the producer of Bowie's Perfect Berlin Trilogy as well as his Scary Monsters album. This is certainly one of the creepier albums in Bowie's long career with topics like desolation, yearning and the apocalypse running throughout.


The opening track 'Sunday' starts the album off on a somber mood, with visions of a decimated world with him pondering his future. The line "Nothing has changed, everything has changed" has haunted me for years and remains one of my favorite lyrics.

Interestingly enough, Heathen was my first real introduction to this man's work as a whole. I couldn't have asked for a better gateway into his genius. His ear for sounds both appealing and jarring at the same time has always fascinated me.

The album also includes an incredible cover in the form of the Pixies' 'Cactus'. It will change the way you hear the original and to be honest I prefer Bowie's version.

Another highlight is 'Slip Away,' a tribute to television personality Uncle Floyd, where Bowie shows that he might have finally become the American he was once so afraid of.



All in all this is an amazing album of "Classic" sounding David Bowie that I can't recommend enough to anyone who's a fan, or just hearing him for the first time.

10/10
Best Tracks:
Sunday
Cactus
Slip Away
Slow Burn
5.15 The Angels Have Gone
A Better Future
Heathen (the Rays)

No comments: