Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Review: Yeasayer - Odd Blood




(To Be Released 2/9/2010)

So here's my first album review...and it's an early one.

So I ended up getting this album on a whim, I'd only heard of them from various websites and maybe a friend or two. I have yet to hear their debut, "All Hour Cymbols," so I don't know how this stacks up to that.

Anyways, this is a top-notch album by a very interesting little band. Strange electronic beats mix with real instruments and sometimes haunting vocals, Yeasayer seem like the kind of band you'd hear at some hipster party in a New York City loft.

That last comment might make it sound like I didn't enjoy it, but I did, with the exceptions of the unnecessary first and final tracks, which have really obnoxious effects on the singer's voice.

The mixture of both music and and vocals on "Madder Red" is as close to perfect as a song is going to get. I've listened to this album at least 6 times now, and that's the track I keep coming back to..."Madder Red" has definite "mix" potential (for me at least).

'Odd Blood' sounds as though 3 guys from the future decided to come back in time and entertain themselves by making music from the 1980's. (If you can make sense of that statement, Yeasayer is for you...if not, there's other fish in the sea.)

As a fan of 80's keyboards and such I'll definitely keep coming back to this album in the future.

8/10

Best Tracks:
Madder Red
One
Ambling Alp
I Remember


No comments: